Monday, May 7, 2012

Can I save my video card, or is it done for?

So basically, I've just had the worst week of my life, and such a perfect week came to a perfect end when my computer decided it wanted to come across every single error it could think of. Here's the just of it all:



First, when I got home my monitor was saying the "Check connection" on it, although it was fine. I restarted my computer a couple times but it wouldn't go away. I don't entirely recall how I fixed this, but none the less, that problem faded away.



Next I successfully loaded up windows, to have it almost immediately crash to a "atidvag" error, which again is fine, an apparently common error. But when I went to restart I next got the error "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_ERROR". I solved this by going to windows repair via the installation CD and doing "chkdsk /p" "fixboot" "exit" and it loaded windows successfully, however for some reason it didn't have internet, even though everything was in place. I figured my solution would be to restart. This proved to be a bad idea, as the next error I got was "Unknown boot error". Odd in itself, I had enough, and formatted that entire harddrive, reinstalled windows (I have a seperate hard drive that has media on it which is fine so I hope to hook it up to this set up as a secondary, although when I do I get a hal.dll error). The thing I find odd is, when I loaded up the new windows, it goes fine until I try to run anything. Exploring windows works, opening control panel/properties all works, but when I loaded up IE to get video drivers, the computer does 1 of 2 things:



1) Freezes, allowing me to do nothing, or

2) I get a black screen, whilst everything else is functioning (I know because I can hear it refresh when I hit F5).



So next I took out that harddrive all together. Put in another I had with windows x64 on it, which turned out to work, but I was still getting the same type of errors, but they would be delayed longer - it wouldn't be upon immediately opening something, it would be about a minute or two minutes in. After restarting a million times, this eventually stopped happening (No idea why).



Next, I tried to open a game (WOW). This didn't work out well as it turns out, because I got funky lines and bars everywhere (Although the game did load, and I was able to get in), however after a few minutes, it would black out again. After doing this a couple times, I updated my video card drivers, and it did the same thing. Figuring maybe it was overheating, I took the video card out of the slot and got the dust off it and put it back in (Properly and everything). I plugged everything back in and turned it on and .... nothing happened. I know that everythings going - I can hear it, but nothing displays. I looked inside the case and the fan on my video card isn't spinning. I restarted it, looking right at the video card as I do so, and saw that it spun for about half a second, then stopped and did nothing.



I then thought maybe it was because I didn't put it in right, so I took it out, put it back in, but alas it didn't change anything. I then thought maybe it wasn't getting enough power, so I took out everything I didn't need - unhooked the CD drive, took out the sound card, the network card that I really wasn't using anyways, but nothing changed it. I then felt the fan on the video card and it was really hot, so I assume that it is indeed getting power.



I am not entirely sure as too all my computer specs, but here is what I know:



550 Power supply

aTI Radeon 9800 Pro

512 mb DDR ram

AMD (3200?) 2.0 GHZ Processor.



Any help would really really really really be appreciated because I'm completely out of ideas here and searching the interwebs isn't giving me any answers at all.|||Hey bro.. My old video card did the exact same thing. it give me all these line and it turn black. the picture gets fuzzy and than turn black. I removed my video card and install it into a computer at my Technical School. and it does the same think.. and I replace the video card and now.. no more problem..





At first I thought my power supple wasn't giving enough juice, I remove my TV Tuner card, my sound card, remover all my hard drive leaving just one for the OS, removed both Optical drive just leaving the Video card, CPU and Memory running and it was the same soo. Went a head and replace with a new Video card and now Im happy ever since. now I can play Crysis..=P





So you know what that mean.. time to go shopping for the newest, baddest video card.

No comments:

Post a Comment