Sunday, May 6, 2012

I would like to start repairing PCs as a side thing to make extra money, and have some questions.?

Well, I am currently studying in the IT field in college.

I have pretty extensive experience with fixing PCs(software issues, replacing hardware).



I would like to start offering a service where i would do things like:



1.Diagnose and Repair software and hardware issues

2.Install and optimize software

3.Install hardware and accessories like sound cards, video cards, RAM things like that

4.Data Recovery

5.OS installation



and other issues that might arise



I was wondering if you guys think that this is a good idea for me to try ?



It would be a side job, and i would post adds in classifieds and stuff like that, and word of mouth.

|||Hello;



I think you will do well with the services you offer -- people are always needing those things done!



I am not a business expert and perhaps I am wrong, but there are some things I would do --



When you are first starting our -- Don't be too greedy, offer lots of "Freebies", having a loyal customer who comes back for help is good.



I would offer "classes" on building a computer. For instance have a couple of hours where you would teach the parts of a computer. Then have your "students" buy the components (ideally from you) and help them put the machine together. At first glance this might seem like a bad idea, but perhaps you would have enough business to justify it. Not only do you sell custom machines, you would build a reputation as a "High Tech Person".



I am a big fan of Linux ... offering linux installation and support might be a good side line.



Best of luck in your business venture.



Bill



P.S. I made a deal with a Thrift Store where I install Linux (Ubuntu) on their machines, that way they can sell complete systems. There are many 1000 mhz machines out there that can be usable for simple tasks.|||The fact that you have done these things helps a lot, but you will need to get the gear to start making diagnostics on damaged computers and it can be expensive.

Post your add on the net and such, when I did a search on my GPS unit for computer repair shops and the like it found one only a couple blocks away from me. So post your business online.|||Hi,



Might not be a bad idea for you to have some sort of service for college students at your campus. I am sure there are many viruses and PC issues there that need fixing. Might be a good way to start and get some hands-on consulting experience



Thanks

Bill|||Excellent idea as long as you don't start to "experiment" on things that you are "semi" familiar with and wind up toasting their boards or drives. Quick way to get a bad rep if you know what I mean. You'll probably make a shitton of money though.|||That's fine. You'll make tons of money but be ready for the average, spastic, panicked computer user on the phone every single day demanding you "FIX THIS THING!!!" and following up with "I hope this doesn't cost alot because it wasn't my fault".



Other than that, enjoy :)|||yea sure, you also might want to add to teaching if you have the patience. That is the only thing I won't do. I also work on computers for side money. |||Great idea. Man across the street earns a terrific living doing just that but full time. You must expect to get calls in the evening, however, when people come home from work and the PC isn't working.|||get your tax id # and Business license and insurance in case you do something wrong and get sued and good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment