Friday, May 4, 2012

Under what circumstance would you replace a (possibly faulty) graphics card?

I paid a lot of money over the past few years making my custom PC rig. I recently had to replace my PSU due to the fact that my computer would shut down if the case was bumped. This solved the issue. I now run into the occasional troublesome issue, such as my computer (after being off for maybe a day or two) not responding when I try to turn it on (but working randomly after several tries) or my Quicktime player not showing the video until I re-size the window, or Firefox menus becoming invisible (such as when you right click, you only see the shadow). This has caused me to fret and wonder if any components in my computer need replacing or repairing. Are problems like this common? Should I assume everything is alright until something major happens? My PC runs just fine for the most part.



I've run FurMark under extreme stability test and my video card will get up to 89C (it gets hot with the standard cooling) but other than getting hot no graphical errors will occur. Should I assume my card is fine?



I want my computer to be perfect. I built this thing myself so it's like my baby. You nerds (like me) should understand this, lol.|||Graphics cards run much hotter than cpus and temperatures are different. If there are no errors then there are no problems and such a temperature is fine for gpu. The other issues seem like software issues. I like to try out the very latest beta drivers for video cards which do help in performance, but that is just a thought and they do have crashy quirks lol. I would suggest buying into an accurate temperature system for your cpu and gpu and setting up an lcd display on the case for real-time easy viewing. Yes there is also the issue of adequate PSU wattage, simply total up the hardware requirements of your entire system and overshoot on a PSU because "brownouts" can cause funky and unexplainable crashes in video or simply sudden crashes which I have experienced myself and its best to just buy the largest wattage PSU you can afford. General computer hardware power requirement charts are available online.|||Screen blinks

Colors get distorted

Screen goes white

Monitor shuts off

Lines in your screen|||89C is hot for any graphics card that's about 190 F make sure your fan is working...pull the card and check for dust/lint clogging the heat sink.you don't say what card it is but you might want to invest in a good aftermarket cooler like the Zalman VF1000 if it fits...of course you will use Artic Sliver 5 heat control compound on the GPU...the RAM heat sinks have heat control tape...some people have had a problem with it "sticking" If you use this...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…

to clean the sinks and ram chips you will have no problem...just press them in place and hold them down for 20 seconds and they will stay put!

No comments:

Post a Comment