Monday, May 7, 2012

Did my laptop video card just die?!?!?

I was watching a video on the interwebz when my screen froze then slowly went dark. Afterwards, it had some trouble restarting and had to go through some repair thingy. When I was finally through the repair, I restarted the laptop normally. Everything appears like it would look like if I booted in safe-mode: 800 x 600 resolution, everything super zoomed in on web browsers, huge icons, blue tint to everything, etc. Whenever I do something that causes an action on the screen, such as move my mouse or type, horizontal reddish orange lines appear all over the screen. Here's a pic of my dxdiag and my desktop. My dxdiag shows nothing on the video card section now, before there was stuff there.



http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/Jeffrothehoe/diag.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/Jeffrothehoe/desktop.jpg



What happened?|||The diag.jpg shows that the proper video card driver is not installed and longer. So, first, reinstall your video card driver. Check the laptops' manufacturer's website for the driver.



Hopefully your laptop has only overheated... check to see how you can open up you laptop (with it turned off and the battery removed) and get to the heatsink and fan. If you can do that without taking the laptop completely apart, do so and clean out the heatsink with a can of compressed air and remove the fan from the laptop and blow the dust out of there also. Put it back together and it will run cooler.

You may have to search using Google and maybe Youtube to find out how to get to the fan & heatsink.



Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment