Friday, May 4, 2012

Netbook motherboard failure worth repair?

Hi everyone-



I bought an Acer aspire one 532h-2789 used from someone back in November and the first week of January it completely died. Probably not a big surprise that I had issues with it in the end but the netbook, when it worked, was a lot more than I'd ever expected from such a small computer/processor/etc so I was very very very happy with it.



Basically, one day when I was using it the screen looked as if it had shut off but the machine was still running so I restarted and it was fine until a couple of hours later when I went to use it and the machine would turn on but not the screen. I figured it was just a video card/video issue (was traveling out of the country at this time in a remote area) and figured I'd deal with it when I got to a city. Once in the city I went to turn it on and the boot screen flickered on for a couple of seconds before disappearing and then the following time I tried to turn it on there was absolutely no response- no lights, sound, complete paper weight.



I took it to a computer tech and was told that the motherboard is shot and that it would be $275 to repair. I just got back in the country and am wondering:

1) is this type of repair even worth it? a motherboard is so critical that I'm hesitant to invest in repairing or replacing it

2) if it is worth repairing/replacing is this price expected? I only paid $300 for the laptop

3) if I end up not fixing it, is there anyway I could sell the netbook for parts or any use for it other than a paperweight? $300 on a machine that died after 2 months sucks



Thank you for any advice!|||The repair is not worth it. As you said, it's only worth $300. I suggest keeping the hard drive and deciding how to extract the contents or use it (i.e. buy an external enclosure to use it like an external hard drive), and part out the laptop or sell "as-is".



There are dual-core Intel Atom netbooks now which perform much better with little impact to battery life. Also, there is a blur between netbook and notebook computers with energy-efficient dual-core processors (e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo SU-7300 1.3 GHz) and screen sizes like 12" and 13.3". Laptops that are less than an inch thick (e.g. Asus UL30, UL50, or UL80). Asus makes high quality laptops -- you might give them a try this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment