Thursday, April 26, 2012

Why is my computer constantly restarting, even after given a clean bill of health?

I have a custom pc that I have had for a couple years now. I have replaced the motherboard, ram, processor, ethernet card and video card. IT had having shut down and restarting problems b4 I replaced the processor. I was told by a computer repair place that was the problem after 2 weeks of diagnostics. I got it back, and it basically sat for 6 months and I just hooked it back up. It decided to start doing the whole restart thing again. and it got worse and worse. I reformatted it , cleaned it out, dusted it. After getting all the updates back to snuff, it went haywire, and would not run at all. I took it into the computer place. they ran it for 3 days straight, did burn in tests and checked everything so they said. they could not find any problems to fix. I get it home, works ok for a day, shuts down once. goes a whole nother day works fine.. tonight it shut down 5 or 6 times in a row, and it worked fine all day. It has plenty of air flow, all fans work. No VIRUS" either .|||The hard drive is crashing. Don't disreguard it. Back up all of your files and buy a new hard drive. Hard drive infringements are virtually undectable, (especiall for a small computer shop).|||tough problem. make sure your hooked up to a good surge protector. Have your power supply tested and possibly upgrade to a bigger one.|||try to disable the auto-restart(when system failure)at the system proterties.. these are some cause of restarting of your pc



power supply

memory(ram)

system failure(win XP has an ablity to restart if the system fails)

processor(too much heat)



run chkdsk if you really want to check if you have problems with your system files....





mail me if it does'nt work out

jir03@yahoo.ca|||check the power options on the control panel under the performance and maintenance controls. hit start, settings, control panel, performance and maintenance, and power options. see if you have the hibernate set to allow hibernation. if you do, uncheck it. then set for always on. it sounds as if it is not shutting down, but going into hibernation mode. to get it up again you have to hit restart. if you disable hibernate and set for always on, it should not turn off unless you do it.|||Sounds like it would cost less just to buy a new one|||I had a similar problem...and I T/S it to a pci card. Take all your PCI cards out except your NIC and see if that works. Just a suggestiong before you go throwing a hard drive away.|||It may be bad capacitors on the motherboard itself. They look like this:



http://www.thenakedpc.com/dan/Bulging_Ca…



Some of the boards made a few years ago are notorious for this (I had an older Abit with this problem).



If this is the case, you have two options. Have the caps replaced or (more likely) replace the motherboard. Again, this may not be the issue, but it is something to check.

No comments:

Post a Comment