Friday, April 27, 2012

"Power cord has been unplugged from video card" what do I do?

Today I was on my computer and I was cleaning out old and junk files. I was using the Norton Utilities program and cleaning stuff. After I cleaned and repaired the regestry and cleaned the hard disks, I went to defragment the regestry. It finished it's thing and told me to restart, so I did. The computer restarted what seemed normally until almost a constant alarm when off and an error message appeared saying "Power cord has been unplugged from the video card" in red print and flashing. What do I do? My video card is a ATi Radeon HD3650 DDR2. I am not positive about the PSU brand, but I believe it is 550Watts. And BTW, the extra cable is connected, as It was just installed just over a year from now and there is no OCs. Is there any fix to this?|||Maybe your drivers got erased, you shouldn't really be touching the registry. Did you try to go into the BIOS and load default settings, and did you try Safe Mode?



Make sure the RAM and Video Card, and power connections inside the computer are all seated in their headers properly, so that connections can be ruled out as a cause.



But other then resetting the BIOS to default and Safe Mode, that is all I can suggest to you.



The beep warning in POST, are:

1 or 2 short beeps - typically no problems were found

3 long beeps - a keyboard error

8 short beeps - video adapter memory problems

9 short beeps - a bios problem

1 long & 3 short beeps - memory error





If you have anymore questions or comments about my answer, please feel free to contact me and I will gladly reply.

Have a nice day

Ken|||Unplug the 6-pin PCI-E power cable from the card and reconnect it. Shut down the computer, unplug it from the wall and wait a minute before plugging it back in and starting up again.



It could be that the connector to the card was just a little loose. But it's possible that your power supply is going bad and is no longer delivering power to the card. It's also possible your card is starting to fail. Hopefully it's not a serious hardware issue and unplugging/replugging will correct it. If either the card or psu is failing, you'll have to replace the faulty component.|||Why don't you go into the computer and unplug the power connector, reboot the computer (you will get a no-signal error). Hard shut the computer down after about 60 seconds. Plug the power connector back in and reboot it again. Does the problem disappear now?



I am suspecting that the power connector to the power supply got jarred and maybe there is a short in the power supply to the power connector for the video card. If after doing this, the problem persists, suspect you have a bad connector (on the inside of the psu side). It might be time to replace the power supply or it might be starting to fail.|||pull the card then replace it

pull the power cord then replace it

No comments:

Post a Comment