Friday, April 27, 2012

Windows 7 black screen on startup?

Whenever I try to boot my computer normally it gets to the welcome screen and then turns black. It doesn't even get to the login screen. I think it may have to do something with my monitor or video card/drivers because when I uninstall my video card drivers in safe mode it works when I boot normally.



However, the monitor, HDMI cable and video card must be at least functioning since I can boot my computer in safe mode. I have tried reseating the card, reinstalling the drivers, downloading new drivers from Nvidia, uninstalling/disabling devices in the device manager and using "last known good configuration" and "repair my computer".



Is there any way to know what's wrong without reinstalling my OS or trying different monitors/video cards? Or to specifically check my graphics card to see if that's the problem?



By the way, I don't have a system restore point and I don't believe it's a virus since there's nothing else wrong, and I've tried many anti virus programs, which all report nothing.



Here are my specs:

Windows 7, 64 bit

AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor

4 GB RAM

500 GB Samsung HDD

NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

550w PSU|||>Disconnect the HDMI cable and see if that is the cause. If so, the problem is further up stream, probably in your HDMI connection to your TV. That would probably lead to a problem with the video card (I would think).|||What a mess, eh! Without all the additional detail of it being able to boot into safe mode, I'd suspect a motherboard problem. Even with the additional detail, I still wonder. Have you tried borrowing a monitor from someone else to see if that would work?

It sounds like you've done knowledgeable troubleshooting.

Can you connect with something other than the HDMI?|||try this unplug hdmi and turn on after it boots plug in if screen doesnt com on then I don't know or go to tech shop.|||buy the new one lolx huhu|||The blue/black screen of death (the stop error) can be caused by a number of reasons. Since you don't have restore points (which would be one of the easiest ways to test whether it's a software issue or not), I would suggest doing a clean install of Windows 7. Yes it will wipe your data (so if you can get it running in safe mode to back it up, I would do that), however, it's a good way to narrow what the issue could be.



-- Ryan

Windows Outreach Team

No comments:

Post a Comment