Thursday, April 26, 2012

Did my video card melt?

Okay so about 4 days ago I was using my computer and my screen started blinking and it turned pink a few times then crashed. After I restarted my computer it worked fine untill the next day when I turned it on again, and right after windows loaded it would just go black and restart in repair mode (Windows Vista feature) which failed making the computer restart again and do the same thing. So I decided to try safe mode, while in safe mode I noticed windows couldn't acces the video card driver beacuse it was in VgaSave. Then I tried reinstalling the video drivers which also didnt work. At the moment I disabled the video drivers which at least allows me to use the computer in VgaSave although its displaying in 4 bit colors and 640x480 and has some weird green dots all over the screen that follow a vertical pattern. Oh and also now as soon as the computer is turned on there are red lines from the top to the bottom of the screen that after windows loads turn into green lines which eventually become dots after the screen flickers a few times.

IF theres any solution please tell me, I dont mind how advanced they may be.



P.S:I tested the monitor in another computer and it displayed everything perfectly.



Thanks for the help.





My specs:

Windows Vista home premium 32 bit

Intel Core 2 Duo

2gb RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8600GTS|||Check the video card for obvious physical problems. Does the fan spin? Is the heat sink properly attached?



My guess would be that your video card failed, possibly due to bad bump underfill material. (nVidia had several batches of chips with that problem.)



Update: If your video card failed, you will need to replace it or get it repaired. It may still be under warranty, or if it's a bump underfill issue, the manufacturer may extend the warranty due to the known manufacturing defect.|||Sounds like card overheating, check heatsinks secure and fan spinning freely, maybe attack with paint brush and hoover.



Also check card seated securely.



Probably worth doing the same for any other fans in the machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment