Thursday, April 26, 2012

Getting New Processor, Motherboard, and cd burner? will i have to repair install windows xp?

I have a custom built computer and i plan on replacing my motherboard, processor, and a cd burner (since my current one is broken). BUT i am still going to use my current hard drive, video card, and RAM sticks. I heard when replacing the motherboard, you have to do a repair install of windows. how do i go about doing that? do i turn on the computer with the windows xp cd in the cd drive? and when i do a repair install, will i still have all my data on my hard drive?|||you shouldnt have to do a full repair install, though thats likely the simplest (sorta) way to do it.



you can also simply remove the old hardware drivers before you shutdown to do the surgery, and then install the new drivers, (chipset first, of course) and be up and running



the repair install is likely the cleaners way, though there are some occurences of data loss due usually to bad sectors data corruption or user error.http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis…|||Boot from the cd and select the repair install. It is unpredictable, it may re-install with all the existing drivers intact, resulting in BSOD crashes. Better would be to uninstall ALL hardware drivers while the old machine is still in use.

No comments:

Post a Comment