Friday, April 27, 2012

HELP! Computer GURUS--Will a 250 Watt computer power supply work with a 250W video card?

I am familiar with computers (website coding and even repairs), but i have never purchased a video card before. I am not a gamer, but rather, I am wanting to be able to hook my computer up to my new LCD TV (32") so I can watch my netflix and online shows using it as a second monitor so to speak.



My new computer only has a VGA out. I want to add an Svideo or TV out, so I can run a cable into the new tv.



The computer is a Compaq Presario (3 GB, 500 hard drive, Athlon II X2 215, with a 250 power supply), and a built in Nvidia 6150 SE (here is the link to my exact computer-- http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/S…



I am looking at a GE Force FX5200, and it says 250W power supply is needed, which is what my maching has. So can I buy this, plug it in to an available port, and it will work fine for watching my computer stuff on my TV?



Thanks SO much! 10 Points to the person who answers the question first.|||a GeForce FX5200 will not fit in your computer because it has an AGP socket. your computer has a PCI-e x16 slot on the motherboard, so you need a graphics card with a PCI-e interface.



concerning your 250W power supply, i have to say that this is the absolute minimum for powering an extra graphics card, but for an ATI HD 4650 it will be sufficient.



as a further step you have to check what type of inputs your LCD TV has. as you say it's new i suppose that it has an HDMI input (HDMI is way better than S-video. S-video provides a bad quality on a TV).



check out this site and chose a graphics card with the corresponding outputs (corresponding to the TV's inputs).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis…



in case your TV has indeed an HDMI input i would suggest this graphics card with all types of outputs except S-video.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…

keep in mind that you can't get a faster graphics card due to the limited power of the 250W psu. a HD 4650 is pretty fast (about 10 times as fast as an FX5200).|||ya it will work, technically speaking. but those numbers are kinda like guide lines, you know on a game box where it says :Requirements: then beside it says :Recommendations: for running it the best way possible. that's what this means, :Requirements: is 250W but Recommendation: is 300W or more. good rule of thumb for computers is you can't go smaller but you can always go bigger!|||Consider running your exact computer configuration into a Computer Power Supply calculator. The power supply should be at least 400 watts. Consider using a 80 Plus efficient power supply to keep the computer cooler. You still may needs another case fan due to the extra heat of the video card. You may also need a special direct power connection for the video card. Check the card specifications and what sort of power connectors are in the computer case.

No comments:

Post a Comment